Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Which "Return" Did You Mean?

Proverbs 6:4
Don't put it off; do it now! Don't rest until you do.
Proverbs 6:4

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Matthew 10:23
"When you are persecuted in one town, flee to the next. I tell you the truth, the Son of Man will return before you have reached all the towns of Israel."

Lord, this verse makes no sense to me. When I think of your return, I think of your Second Coming. But that is obviously not what you were speaking of.

A search through some commentaries online shows me that I'm not the only one confused by this verse. Apparently there is debate among scholars about what "return" you meant. Some think you meant just the trip you were sending the disciples on at that particular time. Others think it was the Transfiguration and even others the Pentecost.

Perhaps you left if vague on purpose and we should not be focusing on which "return" you meant but on preaching the good news until you do return. And that we should not waste our efforts on people who are hostile to the Gospel because we don't know when you will return. There needs to be an urgency to reach as many "towns" as possible because your return is imminent.

Matthew 24:36
"However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."

Lord, help me to be faithful to share in every opportunity you give me. Please give me lots of opportunities and help me to recognize them as chances to share. In Jesus' Name, amen.


No comments: