Monday, January 18, 2016

Let Me Share My All I Have

Deuteronomy 24:19-22

"When you are harvesting your crops and forget to bring in a bundle of grain from your field, don't go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigners, orphans, and widows. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all you do. When you beat the olives from your olive trees, don't go over the boughs twice. Leave the remaining olives for the foreigners, orphans, and widows. When you gather the grapes in your vineyard, don't glean the vines after they are picked. Leave the remaining grapes for the foreigners, orphans and widows. Remember that you were slaves in the land of Egypt. That is why I am giving you this command."


Lord, I don't have crops to harvest and leave the leftovers for the poor around me to glean. How can I walk this out in a practical way in the culture I live in?

Certainly I want to tithe and I'm sure some of that goes to help the poor and needy. But this goes beyond that. I suppose this requires an attitude of not trying to hold on to all that I get. This is an attitude of being willing to share all that belongs to me, because in reality it all truly belongs to YOU! This requires outward unselfish thinking instead of inward self absorption. This requires trusting you to provide every one of my family's needs.

Lord, you showed me another aspect to this. You reminded me that I was once a slave too. I was once a slave to my sinful nature and all its whims. Because of that, I should not be judgmental of people who are still in bondage to their sinful nature. I should not look down on those who are homeless, or in need because of the choices they have made.

I am so glad that you are a God who cares for orphans, widows, and the needy. Help me to walk this out in my life! Please show me practical ways to share the things you have blessed me with! Such as, giving my stuff to the Salvation Army instead of having a garage sale and then keeping the proceeds to get more stuff.

MEMORY VERSE
2 Corinthians 10:3-5
We are human, but we don't wage war as humans do. We use God's mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5

YEAR VERSE
Psalm 37:3-5
Trust in the LORD and do good.
Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you your heart's desires.
Commit everything you do to the LORD.
Trust him, and he will help you.
Psalm 37:3-5

No comments: