Monday, June 1, 2015

By His Stripes I am Healed

Matthew 27:26
So Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to be crucified.

This picture is from:  naturesdesignsonline.com
Lord, why would Pilate order such a severe whipping of a man he thought was innocent? All the crowd was asking for was for you to be crucified. They weren't insisting that you be whipped as well. I suppose it had to happen to fulfill prophecy. Maybe Pilot wanted to make absolutely sure that he appeased that mob. Like a token gesture to guarantee that he would follow through with the crucifixion. 

After my bit of research, I realize that the whipping was part and parcel with crucifixion. As if one of these alone wasn't enough.

Isaiah 53:5 NKJV
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon him, and by his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5 NLT
But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed.

Thank you doesn't seem enough to show my gratitude for what you did for me Jesus. You were willing to endure the shame, agonizing pain, being spit on and cursed and beaten, being mocked, being whipped within an inch of your life, and finally crucified -- all for me. You took on every negative response I could ever receive from unbelievers for sharing the gospel. If you could take all that at one time with such grace, surely I can endure a tiny fraction of that for your sake. Help me to be willing and ready to suffer for you. In Jesus' name, amen.

In my research I came across this website: naturesdesignsonline.com. I must warn you as the site page does, this is not for the weak stomached. But it does give an accurate, descriptive explanation of what Jesus whipping would have been like. 
  
THIS WEEK'S MEMORY VERSES
Zechariah 11:11
The suffering flock was watching me, and they knew that the LORD was speaking through my actions.
Zechariah 11:11

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

No comments: