Thursday, July 16, 2015

Killing My Old Man

Romans 13:13-14
Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don't participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don't let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.

Lord, you don't just want me to live a decent life for all to see. Lots of people who don't even know you do that. You expect more from me because I am your child and I have your Holy Spirit living in me. You want me to live a holy thought life as well.

Those evil thoughts will come. I'm so glad that having those thoughts is not the sin. It's when I indulge them that is the sin.

Even last night I found myself thinking thoughts that to a non-Christian would probably be considered tame. But for me they were starting to get a bit racy. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit helped me to see what was happening and derail that thought process. I blamed it on my "stupid sinful nature" which really wanted to indulge that evil desire. With your help, I was able to put to death the deeds of my sinful nature and move on to purer thoughts. 

I'm thrilled that I am gaining more and more victory in this area. You are training me. I'm finding that it is easier to recognize those little foxes and to catch them when I am spending time in your word, digging deep for the treasures. I love having your word memorized too. That gives me yet more ammunition in my battle to put to death the deeds of my sinful nature.



I love that this says, "And don't let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires." That tells me that there is a choice to be made. I can't help when or if the thoughts come. But it is totally my choice to indulge them or not.

Thank you, Lord, that you love me so much that you train me to be holy. That is the only way I can have a relationship with you because you can not abide any evil in your presence. Please keep on teaching me! In Jesus' name, amen.

MEMORY VERSES
God Has a Purpose
John 10:10
The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.
John 10:10
God Has a Purpose

God Has a Purpose
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
Philippians 4:6-7
God Has a Purpose

No comments: