Friday, April 10, 2015

Remove the Yeast

Romans 12:1
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
Romans 12:1

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Exodus 12:15
For seven days the bread you eat must be made without yeast. On the first day of the festival, remove every trace of yeast from your homes. Anyone who eats bread made with yeast during the seven days of the festival will be cut off from the community of Israel.

Yeast is representative of sin. This festival was an illustration of how we are to remove sin from our lives. When I choose to engage in sin, my fellowship with you, Lord, is cut off. But it doesn't have to stay that way. I can ask for forgiveness and repent. Then you restore our fellowship.

1 John 1:9
But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

I praise you, Lord, that you have given us your Holy Spirit to convict us of sin. Just like the Israelites searching for every trace of yeast in their homes, so the Holy Spirit points out the sin in my life. Often, I'm not even aware of a sin until the Holy Spirit shows it to me. I don't have to go digging up dirt in my own life. The Holy Spirit will show it to me and then help me to clean it up when I confess it. This process is called Sanctification. It's also the process by which I am continually changed to be more like Jesus. 

I praise you, Lord, for giving me a way to be continually changed and cleansed. As I spend time in your word and in prayer, your Holy Spirit communicates to me and points out "yeast" in my life. You knew, Lord, that I would be woefully unable to do this on my own. I thank and praise you for setting up this process in my life. In Jesus' Name I pray, amen.

No comments: