Friday, December 2, 2011

Roadschooling? Not here!

I'm sure you've heard the jokes. You've probably used them yourself, "Why do they call it HOMEschooling? They ought to call it ROADschooling as much as we are in the car!" That is NOT something our family can say.

You see, we are a one vehicle family. We basically have always been a one vehicle family. Even before we had children, my hubby and I shared one car. It's been one of the many ways that we make ends meet.

"How in the world do you manage with one vehicle?", you may ask. Well, it takes some creativity at times but we've always been able to make it work. Thankfully, my hubby doesn't work terribly far from home. So on the days that I know I'm going to need the van, I simply drop him off at work. Yes, there have been many times when I've wished that I could have a vehicle at my disposal all the time. However, in order for me to be home with my kids, sacrifices must be made.

As our kids get to the age when they will be learning to drive, (insert shudder here), I'm not sure how things will change. We may end up having to get an old clunker for them to drive. In the meantime, they practice their driving skills using our family's preferred homeschool learn-to-drive program, "Burn Out Paradise". LOL

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I have tons of respect for families who make it with one car. For one, it's more economical...for another, it makes less of a carbon footprint on the environment. My hubby is always on the move between his work, his hobbies, and his church activities so sadly, I would be stuck at home 24/7 if we didn't have 2 vehicles, but I'll admit I wish we could manage it.

Unknown said...

I totally understand not being able to manage it. You'd be surprised at what can be managed when you have no choice in the matter though. Hehe.