Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bouncing Back from Disappointment



I've been trying to weigh myself only once a week on Mondays. That way I don't deal with the roller coaster of weight fluctuations. This past Monday I was really hoping to see a nice number on that scale. I'd been working out really hard all week and trying hard to watch my food intake. When I stepped on I just wanted to cry. 4 oz! That's all I lost! A measly 4 ounces!!!


These are the times when I have to remember that I'm not doing this for any other reason than to honor and glorify God! Well, that is supposed to be my motivation. However, it is all too easy to get caught up in the numbers and strategizing about how can I loose more?


One of my friends, who happens to be a certified fitness instructor, (so she knows what she's talking about) keeps reminding me that the scale is NOT a good indicator of how I'm doing with my fitness. There are many other factors that come into play. I love the acronym she shared the other day:


Sure
Can't
Assess
Living w/
Excellence

I'm learning to make wise choices. For instance, ManBoy who will be celebrating his 14th birthday this coming week, wanted us to take him out for dinner in lieu of his gift from us. So we went out to Cracker Barrel. Normally, I would have ordered the country fried steak and mashed potatoes, both smothered with gravy. There would have been biscuits and cornbread muffins and fried apples. Probably a week's worth of calories and carbs concentrated in that one meal! Instead, I planned ahead, looked at the menu online before we left and determined to order the grilled chicken salad, which I followed through with. So I'm learning to live with excellence! And that can never be fully displayed on my bathroom scale.

My kids provide comic relief, when I'm not wanting to wring their necks! The other day I heard RoboBoy telling one of his siblings that there would be "diry consequences" if they chose to follow the action they were pursuing. He was trying to say, "dire" but was pronouncing the "e" on the end. Apparently he read the word somewhere and managed to get the context correct but not the correct pronunciation. I wonder if there are any grammar worksheets that include information on how to pronounce specific words. I guess that's technically not grammar. I'm thinking that audio books might serve better for this purpose.

No comments: