Friday, March 18, 2016

Pouring Her Heart Out

1 Samuel 1:15-18
"Oh no, sir!" she replied. "I haven't been drinking wine or anything stronger. But I am very discouraged, and I was pouring out my heart to the Lord. Don't think I am a wicked woman! For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow." 
"In that case," Eli said, "go in peace! May the God of Israel grant you the request you have asked of him."
"Oh, thank you, sir!" she exclaimed. Then she went back and began to eat again, and she was no longer sad.

What a beautiful picture of someone pouring her heart out fully to you, Lord! Hannah didn't care who was watching her. She dumped out all her anguish and pain to you. I bet she said a lot more than just what is recorded here. She probably had a lot to say about Peninnah.

Lord, help me to run to you to pour my hear out. Don't let me infect other people with my discouragement, frustration, or anger. It is so ingrained in me to want to go vent to someone else about these things. The world tells us that is the proper thing to do. But your word tells me not to copy the customs and behavior of this world. Lord, help me to get better at pouring my heart out to you. I know that means you are going to give me opportunities to do that. Which means friction with other people. I don't relish that prospect, but I do want to grow closer to you and better at doing your will. In Jesus' name, amen. <3

No comments: