Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Deliverer

I never had to worry about my weight until I got married and started having kids. In fact while MyHero and I were engaged, I kept LOSING weight. My mother-in-law who was sewing my wedding dress kept telling me at every fitting, "Stop loosing weight!"

Almost 18 years and 3 kids later, that is no longer an issue for me. Bummer! At one point a couple years or so ago I was up to 190. Ack!! For me at 5'5" that is just too much weight! Since then I've lost about 30 lbs through a program called, "The Lord's Table". If you are interested you can find out more at: http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/

I haven't done anything with that for quite a while, however the principles have stuck with me. I kept thinking that I was gaining the weight back and may have gained a few pounds back. I had a hip injury that kept me from doing rigorous exercise for a while. Spent a lot of time at the chiropractor's. I still have the hip injury, but know how to deal with it now.

Anyway, I've been noticing that my clothes have been feeling looser on me. I was thinking about that and trying to figure out how that can be possible since I've not really been doing regular exercise although I am working to get back to a routine. Then it occurred to me that I've gotten better at having food without letting food have me!

So this morning at church my dear friend, who got me started with "The Lord's Table", was all excited about showing me this book that she's just started reading. It's called "Made to Crave". Wow!! I gotta read this book! Then she showed me the bookmark they sent along with the book, she said she requested two of them. The first one says, "_______ is my deliverer" with Chocolate written in the blank. Her other book mark said, "_________ is my shield and fortress" with the word FOOD written in the blank.  Not that I would ever consciously SAY either of those things, but how many times have I treated food and chocolate like that?? "Oh, I'm SOOO stressed!! I need chocolate!" I plead guilty as charged!

During worship one of the songs we sang was called, "My Deliverer"! Oh, my goodness! Didn't I JUST have a conversation about that??? Look at the words to the song:

Chris Tomlin: My Deliverer Lyrics

Songwriters: Carson, Daniel; Maher, Matt; Reeves, Jesse; Tomlin, Chris;

I will wait for You to move
For Your mighty hand to save
When the troubled waters rise,
You are my hiding place,
You are my hiding place

(Hmmm, not food???)

Your walls are salvation
Your gates are praise!
Your walls are salvation
Your gates are praise!

(this says to me that when I stay within the boundaries He has set for me, then I'll be safe and that makes me want to praise Him!)

My Deliverer, my Deliverer
My Deliverer is the Lord

(NOT chocolate!!!)

Who is like You, mighty God?
Who can take me from Your hand?
As I walk with You in freedom
You're the rock on which I stand
You're the rock on which I stand

(the ONLY way to find true freedom is through Jesus Christ!! HE is my Deliverer!!!!)

The last song we sang in worship this morning was "My Redeemer Lives". My Redeemer is not some lifeless hunk of food or chocolate that will only bring me death in the end! My Redeemer is very much alive and I will get to spend eternety with Him!!!

No comments: