Monday, December 27, 2010

Our Homeschool Curriculum

Christmas break may seem like a strange time to be blogging about our curriculum, but I've been looking at different options for teaching my kids. I've concluded that http://www.time4learning.com/ is my favorite and what works best for our family. There are several reasons for this.
  • I tend to be "unwell" fairly often throughout the month between frequent migraines and having endometriosis. It is so wonderful on those days to be able to point my children to the computer and they can get their school work done without needing mom right there to teach them.
  • I love the fact that all the records are kept right on the computer. Anytime I need to see how my children are doing, I simply log in as the parent, click on a link and walla, there are their records. There is even a feature where I can print each child's record as a PDF.
  • My kids seem to really enjoy the content of the lessons. My daughter has been known to keep working on her Language Arts so that she can hear how the story turned out.
I also love http://www.spellingcity.com/. My kids have struggled with spelling in their yearly testing in the past. Now we are using Spelling City. I like that I can use my own lists and tailor them to each child. I also like that they have keep record of my children's progress as well. I can look to see which words they are having trouble with and have them spend some time practicing those words. One thing I would like to see is some more games that appeal to older students. My 12 year old has complained that the games seem a bit too "babyish".

Oh, and I also like the feature that allows me to have my kids practice writing their spelling words in cursive!

No comments: