Thursday, January 26, 2012

Focusing on Others, Day 4

In my reading today, I was learning what fasting should look like Biblically. Isaiah 58 is all about God's views on fasting. Verse 10 says, "And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday."

I've been avoiding the kitchen and cooking. My kids have been more than happy to step up and do the cooking not so much the clean up. Now I'm starting to think, perhaps I should go back to doing the cooking and stop avoiding the clean up as well.

There are also verses that talk about keeping your fast secret. I'm struggling with those. Not sure how you would keep a 20 day fast secret. My purpose in writing about it here is more for my own benefit than for anyone else. Writing helps me to process what I'm learning. Also having this here adds accountability to my fast.

Starting Weight: 173
Current Weight: 168

1 comment:

more of Jesus, less of Michele said...

It would be almost impossible to keep a fast secret from your family for that long. The idea is not to fast IN ORDER TO BE seen by people. That can't be your motivation. If people notice, you haven't failed. If your motivation is, "Look at how spiritual I am. I'm fasting for 20 days," then you've failed. I know you and I know that's not your motivation. You're doing great!