Monday, January 19, 2015

It's Not About Me!

Genesis 41

Pharaoh said to Joseph, "I had a dream, and no one can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it." 
"I cannot do it," Joseph replied to Pharaoh, "but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires." Genesis 41:15-16

It would be easy to take the credit for being able to do something like interpreting dreams. However, Joseph gives God the credit. He recognized that God is the one who gave him that ability in the first place, even though this seems to be an ability that ran in his family. Back in chapter 37, his brothers and father seemed to have no trouble interpreting the dreams he'd had.

I've always felt that God gives us each special abilities to use for his purposes. A couple of those for me are crochet and writing. Am I using these talents for his glory and to eternal purposes? I believe so, although there is room to grow in this.

God used Joseph's ability to prepare Egypt for a severe famine. He then promoted Joseph to a prominent position. But it wasn't for Joseph's sake that he did this. It was to bring about the salvation of Joseph's family and to birth the nation that would contain the lineage of the Messiah. It wasn't about Joseph at all, it was always about Jesus. Neither are my talents and abilities about me. It's all to easy to become prideful when people notice my talents and praise them. Lord, help me to remember that it isn't about me. It's always all about you!
Amen


If this post resonated with you, please share your comments below. I'd love to hear how God is working in your life!

No comments: