Saturday, January 17, 2015

Joseph and Potiphar's Wife

After nearly a year of no posts, I'm feeling led to repurpose this blog. I may still share things from my daily life, but the new main purpose of this blog will be to share what the Holy Spirit gives me during my quiet times. If these turn out to be too personal then I will either not share that day or generalize it for public consumption. I can't promise that I will share every day, but that is my goal. I need the discipline of journalling and this will help to add a level of accountability.

1-17-15
Genesis 39

Now Joseph was well-built and handsome and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!" Gen. 39:6b-7

I don't know what her marriage was like. Was it an arranged marriage in which she was unhappy? That doesn't really matter much. The point is that she allowed her heart to stray. This is something that is SO easy for a woman's heart to do! Even if you are married to a good man who treats you well. Any little bit of discontentment can drive a wedge between you. 

All it takes is a romance novel (even a Christian one!), a romantic movie, or thoughts of an old boyfriend and "How would things have been different with him?" If we allow ourselves to start believing that our husband doesn't measure up in some way then each discontented thought drives that wedge deeper and our heart strays further away.

 Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23

Lord, you know how I struggled with this early in my marriage. I allowed discontent to grow in my heart. You showed me how to rehearse the things that I love about the man you gave me. You gently urged me to confess my sin of dwelling on thoughts of an old boyfriend to my husband. You helped me to expose that sin to the light so that it no longer held me in bondage. You showed me how to guard my heart by taking every thought captive to the feet of Jesus Christ. But, Lord, sometimes I still forget to remember. When I forget, would you please remind me? Help my love for you first and then my husband to grow. Thank you Lord for 20+ years with this wonderful man! Amen!


If this post resonated with you, please leave your comments. I would love to hear how God is working in your life!


No comments: