Saturday, January 31, 2015

Am I a Slave to Egypt?

This week's memory verse:
Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!
Luke 1:45

Exodus 1

So they put slave masters over them to oppress them with forced labor, and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh.
Exodus 1:11

Egypt is clearly a type of the world. If I spend too much time in Egypt it will enslave me. Egypt for me is the TV shows I watch and the video games I play. The games can be especially addicting for me. It's ok for me to relax and play them once in a while but I don't want all my time devoted to such drivel. If I'm not careful that is exactly what ends up happening.

If I let this continue, then I end up actually working for the enemy! Lord, I've never seen this before! 
and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh.
I don't want to end up building store cities for the enemy! I want to be storing up treasures for myself in heaven!
Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:20 NLT

Another area that trips me up is Facebook. I tend to spend a LOT of time on there. It's too easy to get caught up in it and not even realize how much time has gone by. I need to be more aware of how much time I am spending on this social media and not let it eat into the time that I need to be spending on other things.

If I am truly a bondservant of Jesus Christ then I need to be seeking his advice on how to spend my time. I believe that he would prefer to see me spending it on things of eternal value. For me in this season of my life, that means training and educating my children, putting time in with my job (because this honors my husband who appreciates the extra income), planning and cooking healthy meals for my family, and of course spending time in God's Word and memorizing scripture.

Jesus, please help me to evaluate how I spend my time. I want to spend it in ways that will please you. I don't want to end up building store cities for the enemy. In your Holy Name I pray.
Amen

No comments: