Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Why the trials, Lord?

This week's memory verse:
Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!
Luke 1:45

Exodus 3

The Lord said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering."
Exodus 3:7

God is not blind to the suffering of his people. He sees and is concerned. He wants to bring us into a land of plenty, but doesn't promise that the journey there will be free of trials and hardship. The trials and hardship will forge us into holy vessels that he can use to bring others to himself.

Lord, it suddenly occurred to me that even though we go through all these trials on earth, we humans can never be perfect this side of heaven. So why make us go through them? Why not just let us coast through till we get to heaven?

I'm thinking that there are a few reasons. First, and foremost, you will not let us remain in our sin. Yes, we are covered by the blood once we accept your gift of repentance. But we still slip and fall. The trials help to clear the gunk that is still in our hearts and causes us to fall.

Second, once we truly understand what you did for us, we want to be more like you. The only way to do that is by going through the trials.

Third, we can't be used to lead others to you unless we have some resemblance to you.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are the ones that you have shown me at this time.

Lord, I praise you for the trials that I go through here on earth. I don't enjoy or look forward to them. But please help me to embrace them knowing that you are concerned and want to use it all for my best good and to draw others to yourself.
Amen

No comments: