Thursday, February 5, 2015

Bridegroom of Blood

This week's memory verse:
Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!
Luke 1:45

Exodus 4:18-31

At a lodging place on the way, the LORD met Moses and was about to kill him. But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses feet with it.
Exodus 4:24-25

What in the world made Zipporah think to do this?? The LORD must have told them that was why he was going to kill Moses. I'm guessing that Moses was already circumcised but had obviously neglected to do this for his son. Maybe his wife didn't want it done? That seems possible because of the way she referred to circumcision by calling Moses a bridegroom of blood. It sounds like she saw it as a detestable practice.

There is a lesson here for me as a wife. I need to support my husband's decisions no matter how unappealing they may seem to me. I can certainly express my opinions but the final decision is still his. For some reason this seems to be even harder to do when the matter concerns our children.

Lord please forgive me for the times when I have insisted on having my way over my husband's. Please help me to learn to trust him more fully, because ultimately I am putting my trust in YOU. You are the one who has placed my husband in authority over me. 
Amen

No comments: