Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Don't Copy the Behavior and Customs of this World

This week's memory verses:
Psalm 27:8
My heart has heard You say, "Come and talk with Me," and my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."
Psalm 27:8

Psalm 77:1
I cry out to God without holding back.
Psalm 77:1

Romans 12

And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
Romand 12:1-2

Since the dog bite, it seems that everyone has an opinion about what I should do. People are telling me that I should ask the dog's owners to help with my medical bills and that their homeowners insurance should cover this. Christian friends who I love and respect are encouraging me to "lawyer up". I just haven't felt right about any of this. It might be mostly because I feel responsible for what happened. But I also think that you put this check in my spirit, Lord. These verses seem to confirm that.

I have given myself to you as a living sacrifice. I'm thinking that you have taken me up on that quite literally.

To "lawyer up" and insist that the owners help pay my medical bills would be following the behavior and customs of this world. I worry about what that would speak to these people. I want to speak Christ's love and forgiveness to them. Besides, you have already provided the money to pay for this and you will provide for all the rest of our needs.

I see this as a potential opportunity to share the gospel with a family who seems to need the good news. Lord, please continue to use me as you see fit to share the your love and forgiveness to a lost and dying world. Lord, I would love to get to share the gospel with the people who own the dog that bit me. Please show me how to proceed from here.
Amen

Oh, yes! By way of update:
I had to go back to the ER yesterday for another IV antibiotic. But the good news is that the swelling is going down and the nurse said that it looks like it is doing better. Praise God! I'm getting to leave the dressings off so that it can start to scab up. Yay! I just have to keep my dog from trying to "clean" it for me. Hehe! 

No comments: