Friday, February 6, 2015

Exploring a David Dump

My posts may go through a bit of a change for a little while. I am attending an 8 week workshop called, "I'm Stuck, But I Want to be Free" or as we call it on our Salt and Light group, "Freedom Workshop". Last night was the first session. I will be learning, among other things, how to recognize when I am having conversations with myself (do you ever do that?) and instead converse with God. I will also be following a specified Bible reading plan and memorizing scriptures. I would love to have you join me as I go on this adventure.

*all memory verses and scripture will be in NLT unless otherwise stated.
This week's memory verses:
Psalm 27:8
My heart has heard You say, "Come and talk with Me," and my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."
Psalm 27:8

Psalm 77:1
I cry out to God without holding back.
Psalm 77:1

One of my first assignments is to read Romans 4 and Psalm 140. For this post I'm going to focus on Psalm 140. My task was to read the psalm and write in the margin of my Bible the emotion that is coming through to me from the words. But first let me explain what a David Dump is. Basically it was David crying out to God without holding back. God wants us to do the same thing so let's learn from how David did it.

Psalm 140

For the choir director: A psalm of David.

Lord, rescue me from evil people.
    Protect me from those who are violent,                            fear
those who plot evil in their hearts
    and stir up trouble all day long.                                         hurt
Their tongues sting like a snake;
    the venom of a viper drips from their lips. Interlude
Lord, keep me out of the hands of the wicked.
    Protect me from those who are violent,
    for they are plotting against me.
The proud have set a trap to catch me;                               feeling trapped
    they have stretched out a net;
    they have placed traps all along the way. Interlude
I said to the Lord, “You are my God!”                                   relief
    Listen, O Lord, to my cries for mercy!               
O Sovereign Lord, the strong one who rescued me,
    you protected me on the day of battle.                              safe
Lord, do not let evil people have their way.
    Do not let their evil schemes succeed,                              defensive
    or they will become proud. Interlude
Let my enemies be destroyed                                                 anger
    by the very evil they have planned for me.
10 Let burning coals fall down on their heads.
    Let them be thrown into the fire                                           vengeful
    or into watery pits from which they can’t escape.
11 Don’t let liars prosper here in our land.
    Cause great disasters to fall on the violent.
12 But I know the Lord will help those they persecute;
    he will give justice to the poor.                                           vindicated
13 Surely righteous people are praising your name;
    the godly will live in your presence.
New Living Translation (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I love that David starts to feel positive emotions but still has negative ones to purge. So he doesn't stop till all the negative emotions are out. When I David Dump I need to keep telling God all my negative feelings until I get them all out. It is only when I get all of them out that I will start to feel peace.
Lord, thank you for showing me this. I pray that next time I have these kind of negative emotions due to someone hurting me, I will run to YOU with it instead of running to the phone or Facebook. Help me to run to the throne not the phone!
Amen

No comments: