Sunday, April 26, 2015

God's Intentions

Psalm 119:133
Guide my steps by your word, so I will not be overcome by evil.
Psalm 119:133

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Matthew 5:43-44
"You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!

Most of us assume that this is a contradiction of the old testament law found in Leviticus 19:18. But if you read it you will find nothing about hating your enemy.

Leviticus 19:18
Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself, I am the LORD.

Many of these old testament laws, which were intended to extend mercy, were twisted by human reasoning and tradition. They became instruments of revenge instead. Jesus was bringing us back to the mercy that was intended by the law and at the same time blasting the mindset that would misinterpret these laws for their own purposes.

Lord, help me to discern your true intentions in your word and not rely on the human reasoning and traditions that are so often attached to it, even my own. Your intentions tend toward mercy and grace leading to repentance. Please help mine to be the same. In Jesus Name, amen.

No comments: