Monday, April 6, 2015

You Set the Time

Romans 12:1
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
Romans 12:1

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Exodus 8:9-10
"You set the time!" Moses replied. "Tell me when you want me to pray for you, your officials, and your people. Then you and your houses will be rid of the frogs. They will remain only in the Nile River."
"Do it tomorrow," Pharaoh said.

Umm, what?!? Really?? Tomorrow? Why not right now? John Gill's Exposition of the Bible  shed's some light on perhaps why Pharaoh answered this way. Gill suggests that Pharaoh may have hoped that the plague would go away without any intervention from God. Then he would not have to acknowledge God's power or let his people go.

Another theory is that Pharaoh thought that it would take much pomp and ceremony, such as his magicians used, to entreat God to take the frogs away. That would all take time and planning which could not be done right away if it was already night.

It seems to me that many people use similar reasons to put off trusting Christ as their Savior. They believe that if they give it time they can figure things out on their own. They don't want to have to acknowledge God or his power over them and their lives.

Some people think that asking Jesus to forgive their sin and  become Lord of their lives will involve some weird religious mumbo jumbo. In reality all it takes is a simple heartfelt confession and request to God. I'm sure that all Moses had to do was ask, "LORD, will you please take the frogs away now?" and the LORD responded. 

He will do the same for us. Sometimes even as a Christ follower, I think that I need to have long drawn out spiritual sounding prayers before God will move on my behalf. However, for one who is in close communion and fellowship with HIM, all it takes is a simple request.

Lord, I praise you! I'm thankful that we don't have to get all weird and religious for you to move on our behalf. I pray for the unbelievers in my life, that you will clear their minds of any false beliefs about who you are and how you work. Holy Spirit, please lead them to Jesus! In Jesus' Name, amen. 

No comments: