Friday, May 22, 2015

I am Clothed in the Righteousness of Jesus

Matthew 22:11-14
"But when the king came in to meet the guests, he noticed a man who wasn't wearing the proper clothes for a wedding. 'Friend,' he asked, 'how is it that you are here without wedding clothes?' But the man had no reply. Then the king said to his aides, 'bind his hands and feed and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
"For many are called, but few are chosen."

According to the commentary in my Bible, it was customary for the person in charge of the wedding banquet to give special clothes to each guest to wear to the banquet. It was a major insult to the host to not wear these clothes to the banquet.

We have been provided with the clothes of righteousness and salvation when we accepted Jesus Christ as the Lord over our lives.

Revelation 16:15
"Look, I will come as unexpectedly as a thief! Blessed are all who are watching for me, who keep their clothing ready so they will not have to walk around naked and ashamed."

There are those who take this verse literally. I think the Mormons never allow themselves to be completely naked because of this verse. They even bathe with a t-shirt or something to cover themselves. I believe that this verse has a much deeper meaning than just the literal. I believe that it is referring to our spiritual clothing.

We cannot enter the Wedding Supper of the Lamb without the proper attire which Jesus provided for all in his death and resurrection.

Isaiah 61:10
I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God! For he has dressed me in the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. I am like a bridegroom dressed for his wedding or a bride with her jewels.















Revelation 3:4-5
"Yet there are some in the church in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes with evil. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.

Lord, help me to keep my clothes unsoiled by evil! I want to walk with you in white. I want my name to remain in the Book of Life and have you announce to your Father and his angels that I am yours. In Jesus' name, amen.

In my study for this post I found a very interesting website: Wildolive - Jewish Weddings. This site give some very interesting insights into the customs practiced in ancient Jewish weddings and how they correlate to New Testament teaching. You may also be interested in the book "Here Comes the Bride" by Richard Booker.

This Week's Memory Verses
Jeremiah 17:5
This is what the LORD says: "Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts from the LORD."
Hosea 6:6

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

No comments: