Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mustard Seed Faith

Hosea 6:6
I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings.
Hosea 6:6

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Matthew 17:19-20
Afterward, the disciples asked Jesus privately, "Why couldn't we cast out that demon?"
You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. " I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there.' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."

Lord, I'm not sure that I would have the faith to cast out a demon. But then after looking at the commentary footnotes in my Bible, maybe I would. The footnotes suggest that the disciples were trying to do this in their own strength and they needed faith in God's power to do this.

So I just need to believe in God's power to do things. I think too often I forget to remember to live and operate in God's power, not my own. My God is the Creator of the universe! Absolutely nothing is too hard for Him.

Mark adds more to this story including Jesus' conversation with the father of the boy. The father begged Jesus to heal his son if he could.

Mark 9:23-24
"What do you mean, 'If I can'?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes." The father instantly cried out, "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!"

Lord, help me to overcome MY unbelief! Help me to have unwavering faith in your power to lead and care for me. In Jesus' name, amen.


No comments: