Saturday, May 2, 2015

Love Not Sacrifice

Proverbs 6:4
Don't put it off; do it now! Don't rest until you do.
Proverbs 6:4

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Matthew 9:12-13
When Jesus heard this, he said, "Healthy people don't need a doctor -- sick people do." Then he added, "Now go and learn the meaning of this scripture. 'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' For I have come not to call those who think they are righteous but those who know they are sinners."

The Pharisees were so caught up in their self-righteous sacrifices to God that they totally missed the true purpose of worship, which is to know God and to show mercy to others.

Micah 6:6-8
What can we bring to the LORD?
Should we bring him burnt offerings?
Should we bow before God Most High
with offerings of yearling calves?
Should we offer him thousands of rams
and ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Should we sacrifice our first born children
to pay for our sins?

No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good,
and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God.

Hosea 6:6
I want you to show love,
not offer sacrifices.
I want you to know me
more than I want burnt offerings.

Lord, may I never get so caught up in serving you, that I neglect to show love to the people around me! Help me to know you and to show love. Help me to do what is right, to love mercy and to walk humbly with you. In Jesus' sweet Name, amen.

No comments: