Monday, May 11, 2015

Take Every Thought Captive

Hosea 6:6
I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings.
Hosea 6:6

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Matthew 15:18-20
"But the words you speak come from the heart -- that's what defiles you. For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands will never defile you."

Jesus, help me to take every thought captive to make it obedient to you.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have the power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Lord, I know that the things I think about become my actions. Help me to only think about things that please and honor you. Help me to let you transform me into a new person by changing the way I think. Only then can I manage to control my tongue.

Romans 12:2
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.

Romans 8:5-7 & 11
Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace. For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you!

James 3:2
Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way.

Proverbs 21:23
Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.

Philippians 4:8
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

I love these pictures on this post: http://www.claresmith.me/train-your-thoughts/. She also has a great video with her kids giving an illustration of how Jesus can help us clean up our thoughts. 

This image was borrowed from http://www.claresmith.me/train-your-thoughts/. 

This image was borrowed from http://www.claresmith.me/train-your-thoughts/. 


No comments: