Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I'm Surrounded by Widows

Exodus 22:22-24
You must not exploit a widow or an orphan. If you exploit them in any way and they cry out to me, then I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will blaze against you, and I will kill you with the sword. Then your wives will be widows and your children fatherless.



Lord, I'm so glad that you care about widows and orphans. You have surrounded me with widows. First my sweet neighbor, M, lost her husband to cancer years ago. Then J's husband died too. I think that was also cancer. Just this past year, G's husband shot himself. So now I have two neighbors across the street and one next door all who are widows. Only one of these ladies is a Christian.

Help me to treat these women with respect and show your love for them. It isn't always easy. One of them is living in blatant sin and she and her live-in boyfriend always seem to be wanting something from us. Another often comes over to gossip about the other. Yet, I suspect that she gets lonely being by herself during the day.

Lord, I need your wisdom in how to deal with these people. I want to help them and lead them to you. But I don't want to be enabling destructive behavior by giving money that will only be used for drugs or booze. I would not mind being taken advantage of if that is what it takes to bring them to you. However, I suspect that is doing nothing to that end. Besides, my husband has voiced his opposition to being taken advantage of.

Lord, you know the situation and you know my heart. You also know the hearts of these neighbors. Lord, I pray that you would remove the veil from their eyes. Allow them to see the truth, believe, and come running to you! Help me to be a light to show the way to you. In Jesus' name, amen.

MEMORY VERSES
All Have Sinned
Romans 3:23
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard.
Romans 3:23
All Have Sinned

All Have Sinned
Isaiah 53:6
All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God's paths to follow our own. Yet the LORD laid on him the sins of us all.
Isaiah 53:6
All Have Sinned

No comments: