Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Sin is No Longer My Master

Romans 6:12-14
Do not let sin control the way you live, do not give in to sinful desires. Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. So use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God. Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace.


Lord, you are teaching me how not to live under sin's control and how not to give in to my sinful desires. It is amazing to me how many years I lived as a Christian, not really understanding this truth. I had some victory over sin, but I really didn't realize how those other voices and especially the voice of my sinful nature work to pull me back into sin. Thank you, Lord, for showing me this and teaching me to recognize the difference in your voice and those other voices.

Now I know that I have no obligation whatsoever to do what my sinful nature urges me to do! Romans 8:12 I love the way my NLT updated version translates Romans 8:13. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Holy Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. You are teaching me to put to death the deeds of my sinful nature.

You are also teaching me to not copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform me into a new person by changing the way I think. Through this, I am learning to know God's will for me and to recognize it as good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2

I can't help but praise you for what you are doing in my life. It is astounding to me that even after knowing and loving you for all these years, I'm just beginning to plumb the depths of your love and grace and mercy for me. I'm learning just how much I still have to learn. Keep on teaching me, Lord! I'm yours! In Jesus' name, amen.

MEMORY VERSES
2 Chronicles 16:9a
The eyes of the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
2 Chronicles 16:9a

Philippians 4:6-7
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: