Monday, June 15, 2015

I Can't Throw the Stone

John 8:7
They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, "All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!"
Lord, help me to not be quick to condemn others for their sin. I am just as sinful as anyone. It's only your grace, mercy and continual forgiveness that saves me.

Romans 8:12-14
So, dear brothers and sisters you have no obligation whatsoever to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you keep on following it, you will perish. But if through the power of the Holy Spirit, you turn from it and it's evil deeds, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.

As I'm learning to walk in victory and having some success in not doing what my sinful nature urges me to do, don't let me look down on others who are still struggling to learn this.

I can't help thinking of the parable of the proud Pharisee and the repentant tax collector from Luke 18:9-14

Luke 18:14
"I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Lord, I praise you for pointing this out to me before it becomes a huge issue in my walk. I have looked at others, who I know have heard the Freedom Workshop message, and wondered, "Why aren't they getting this?" Lord, please forgive me for my self-righteous attitude. Next time I'm tempted to do this please remind me of what you just taught me.

Other believers are in process, just like I am. Of course, if I see a brother or sister engaging in blatant, habitual sin, then I need to lovingly and with YOUR words, rebuke them. But not when they are simply stumbling along as they strive to obey you.

I can, however, remind them to run to you. And I can share the truths from Romans 8:12-14 with brothers and sisters in Christ who may not have learned them yet.

I praise you, Jesus, for the changes you are working in me. I want to decrease so you can increase. I want to be more and more like you, who did not condemn the woman, but told her, "Go and sin no more." In Jesus' name, amen.

MEMORY VERSES
James 1:14-15
Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. Those desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
James 1:14-15

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

No comments: