Thursday, June 18, 2015

Jesus, My Sacrifice

John 10:17-18
"The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again. No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded."

There were a few times when the mobs tried to kill Jesus. At least once in this very chapter. But Jesus always slipped away - until it was the right time. Then Jesus could have called on legions of angels to protect him, but he didn't.

Matthew 26:53-54
"Don't you realize that I could ask my Father for thousands of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly? But if I did, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that describe what must happen now?"

When Jesus was on trial before Pilate, he told Pilate that the only reason he had the power to kill him was because God was allowing it.

John 19:10-11
"Why don't you talk to me?" Pilate demanded, "Don't you realize that I have the power to release you or crucify you?"
Then Jesus said, "You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin."

Thank you, Jesus, for laying down your life for me! And thank you for not staying in that grave! You broke the power of sin and death over my life! I praise your holy name! In Jesus' name, amen.

MEMORY VERSES
James 1:14-15
Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. Those desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
James 1:14-15

Romans 1:16 (NIV)
I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Romans 1:16 (NIV)

No comments: