Monday, June 29, 2015

The Power of the Resurrection

John 20:6-9
Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside. He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that had covered Jesus' head was folded up and lying apart from the other wrappings. Then the disciple who had reached the tomb first also went in, and he saw and believed - for until then they still hadn't understood the Scriptures that said Jesus must rise from the dead.

It was seeing the tomb and the linen wrappings that caused these two disciples to believe. We still have the empty tomb and even the Shroud of Turin to testify to the validity of these events.

Lord, I feel you nudging me to compare the resurrection of Lazarus to your resurrection.
Jesus' ResurrectionLazarus' Resurrection
Purpose: Break the power of sin and deathPurpose: Bring glory to Jesus and prove he was God's Son
Left his grave clothes behindCame out wrapped in his grave clothes
Raised himself from the deadWas raised by Jesus
Became the first to rise from the dead. 1 Cor. 15:20; Rev. 1:5Was one among many raised from the dead
Went to be with his FatherEventually had to die again
Had his imperishable bodyStill had his perishable body
Had been foretold by many Scriptures and Jesus himselfJesus said that his sickness would not end in death John 11:4
Caused many to believeCaused many to believe John 11:45

Jesus, I praise you for breaking the power of sin and death in my life! Like Lazarus, I can remove my grave clothes and put on the robes of righteousness. You have raised me from my spiritual death. My body will eventually die, but my soul will live forever! Lord, may the life I live in YOU cause many to believe. In Jesus' name, amen!

MEMORY VERSE
Isaiah 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the LORD always, for the LORD GOD is the eternal Rock.
Isaiah 26:3-4

No comments: