Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Bronze Laver

Exodus 30:17-21

The washbasin was made completely of bronze. Brass/bronze stands for judgement. Jesus is the one appointed by God to judge the living and the dead. Acts 10:42

Moses and his sons were commanded to wash their hands and feet using the water from this washbasin. If they didn't they would die. This water represents the Word, which we need daily to cleanse us from the filth we get on us from living in the world. Ephesians 5:26; Romans 12:2
















"The feet-washing service, as commanded in John 13:1-17 certainly takes on a deeper meaning the moment we see the water as typifying the Word of God. Stooping down and washing my brother's feet symbolizes a readiness to render menial, humble service to my brethren. But that is barely half of the story!

Our feet symbolize our walk of life, and the water the Word of God. To extend my bare feet to my brother symbolizes my willingness to lay my life bare before my brethren and have them use the Word of God to help me cleanse and improve my walk of life. I'd better mean it lest I play the hypocrite. Then, as I wash my brother's feet, I symbolize my willingness to use the Word to help him improve his walk of life. To do that in a brotherly way requires a far deeper humility than to simply wash his feet and dry them with a towel!"*

Lord, please wash me clean as I spend time in your word. Help me to be willing to lay my life bare to my brothers and sisters so they can use Your Word to help me cleanse and improve my walk with you. Remind me that it is ONLY your Word that can soften another's heart and clean any of us from the muck and mire of this world. In Jesus' name, amen.

*Hersberger, Ervin N. (2010) Seeing Christ in the Tabernacle. Harrisonburg, VA: Vision Publishers.

MEMORY VERSE
Salvation Not By Works
Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9
Salvation Not By Works

No comments: