Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Why 400 Years of Slavery?

If you are a regular follower of this blog, then you will notice a bit of a change for the next 8 weeks. I am serving as a table leader for an 8 week Freedom Workshop. If you'd like to follow along, you can find the resources at the link directly above. Also, I will post here, the daily Bible reading assignment (heartwork) so you can read along. This workshop has been a life changer for me so I'm eager to share it with others. May you be blessed!


BIBLE READING HEARTWORK
Week 7 - Day 6
Genesis 46-50; Psalm 119:129-136
Genesis 15:13-14
Then the Lord said to Abram, "You can be sure that your descendants will be strangers in a foreign land, where they will be oppressed as slaves for 400 years. But I will punish the nation that enslaves them, and in the end they will come away with great wealth.


Lord, I'm having trouble understanding why your people had to go through 400 years as slaves in Egypt. I understand that verse 16 says that the sins of the Amorites did not yet warrant destruction.

But you had Jacob and his family there in Canaan. Why couldn't they have grown and prospered and become a nation right there? And yet Your ways are higher than ours. I know that you had a good reason for all this.

I'm glad that we have the story of Joseph and all he endured so faithfully. And I'm glad we have recorded how you humbled Egypt with your great power. Also, there is the Passover and how that all pointed to our Passover Lamb.

Help me to trust you even when I don't understand what you are doing in my life. I love you! In Jesus' name, amen. <3

FREEDOM WORKSHOP VERSES
Genesis 4:7
If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.
Genesis 4:7

Psalm 51:6
Behold, you desire truth in the innermost being, and in the hidden part you will make me know wisdom.
Psalm 51:6

MEMORY VERSES
James 1:16-18
So don't be misled, my dear brothers and sisters. Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.
James 1:16-18

No comments: