Friday, February 5, 2016

My Defeats Make Me Stronger

Joshua 8:12-13

Then the Lord said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid or discouraged. Take all your fighting men and attack Ai, for I have given you the king of Ai, his people, his town, and his land."

I should not let my defeats discourage me. Instead, I should be quick to confess, repent, and then learn from my mistakes. This should make me stronger and more prepared for the next battle. All too often I instead focus on my failure letting it make me feel discouraged and like it is no use fighting any more, which is exactly what my enemy WANTS me to feel!!

Just like he did for Joshua at Ai, God knows how to take the broken pieces of our defeat and turn them into a rousing victory the next time we fight that battle. This should give me great hope and encouragement.

Joshua was careful to follow God's instructions for how to fight Ai the second time. The plan of attack is different for each battle. Lord, help me to listen carefully for your instructions for how to fight each battle in my life. Sometimes it will be simply pray and watch God achieve the victory. Other times I will be called to stand and fight with the Sword of Truth. But in EVERY battle, victory can only come through complete obedience.

Joshua did not neglect to give God the glory and praise for their victory over Ai. He gave burnt offerings and peace offerings to the Lord. The burnt offering showed their devotion to God, while the peace offering was an expression of their gratitude and represented their fellowship with God. 

Lord, help me to daily give you my burnt offerings and peace offerings. Help me to give my wholehearted devotion, not letting anything or anyone hold me back from obeying and praising you! I want to live in constant, sweet fellowship with you! I love you!! In Jesus' name, amen. <3

MEMORY VERSE
Joshua 1:8
"Study this book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in everything you do."
Joshua 1:8

Isaiah 45:18-19
"I am the Lord," he says, "and there is no other. I publicly proclaim bold promises. I do not whisper obscurities in some dark corner. I would not have told the people of Israel to seek me if I could not be found. I, the Lord, speak only what is true and declare only what is right."
Isaiah 45:18-19

YEAR VERSE
Psalm 37:3-5
Trust in the LORD and do good.
Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you your heart's desires.
Commit everything you do to the LORD.
Trust him, and he will help you.
Psalm 37:3-5

No comments: