Thursday, March 26, 2015

Better Together

Genesis 4:17
If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.
Genesis 4:17

Psalm 51:6 (NASB)
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, and in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom. 
Psalm 51:6 (NASB)

Romans 1:16
I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes - the Jew first and also the Gentile.
Romans 1:16

Romans 1:12
When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours.

Lord, this is what I miss out on when I listen to that voice of isolation. We are indeed better together! You want to use me to encourage my brothers and sisters in their faith. But you also want me to be encouraged by theirs. Lord, you know how easy it is for me to give in to that voice of isolation, especially when it involves giving up my evening at home. I pray that you would give me a want to go and spend time encouraging and being encouraged.

Psalm 119:142-144
Your justice is eternal,
and your instructions are perfectly true.
As pressure and stress bear down on me,
I find joy in your commands.
Your laws are always right;
help me to understand them so I may live.

In the construction world a plumb is used to make sure that the work is "perfectly true" or in perfect vertical alignment. I don't know a lot about construction, but I think that the reason for this isn't just so the building will be aesthetically pleasing, but also so that it will be able to stand up to the pressure and stress that will bear down on it.

Lord, Your instructions are perfectly true, they keep me in perfect alignment with You! Because of this, when pressure and stress bear down on me, I am able to find joy in your commands. I'm able to stand up to the pressure and stress when I stay in perfect vertical alignment with You. 

In construction it is important for the building to not only be aligned vertically, but also horizontally. Lord, Your laws and instructions also keep me in horizontal alignment with the people in my life.

Lord, I so quickly and easily get out of alignment with You and the people around me. I thank you that all I have to do when that happens is confess it to You, and sometimes to the person I've hurt, and ask for forgiveness. Whether that person chooses to forgive me or not, YOU always are faithful to forgive me and make me in perfect alignment with You once again.

I thank You, Lord, for your laws which are always right! Help me to understand them so I may live. In Jesus' Name, amen.

No comments: