Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Slander

1 Peter 4:12-13
Dear friends don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.  Instead, be very glad - because these trials will make you partners with Christ in His suffering, and afterward you will have the wonderful joy of sharing His glory when it is displayed to all the world.
1 Peter 4:12-13

Romans 6: 16
Don't you realize that whatever you choose to obey becomes your master? You can choose sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God and receive His approval.
Romans 6:16

Micah 6:8
No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

Psalm 101:5 NKJV
Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor,
him I will destroy;
the one who has a haughty look and a proud heart, him I will not endure.

Lord, you led me to this verse this morning and showed me that I am one who secretly slanders others. Lord, I am crushed by this revelation! Even if I'd never opened my mouth to speak of the irritations that people cause in me, just thinking and dwelling on it is slandering them in secret.

Slander: to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slander, 3-17-15.

Lord, even though I never intended to be untruthful, sharing with others about how someone irritated me usually leads to false things being spoken about them. Allowing myself to dwell on the offense definitely causes me to listen to and believe the lies that my sinful nature will tell me about that person.

Lord, this is a serious thing in the media world. As a student of Journalism it was drilled into me to avoid libel and slander. A journalist's career can quickly end if they engage in this and they can be sued. You are showing me that it's a serious matter in Your Eyes as well. How many relationships has this very thing destroyed over the years? How many marriages?

Lord Jesus, please forgive me for the times that I have engaged in this sin! Please help me to turn from it through the power of the Holy Spirit. Thank you, Lord, for showing me this sin in my life. Lord, I place this sin under Your Blood right now. In Jesus Name, amen!

No comments: