Saturday, November 21, 2015

Let Me Be Set Apart For YOU, God!

Numbers 6:1-4

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Give the following instructions to the people of Israel. 'If any of the people, either men or women, take the special vow of a Nazirite, setting themselves apart to the Lord in a special way, they must give up wine and other alcoholic drinks. They must not use vinegar made from wine or from other alcoholic drinks, they must not drink fresh grape juice, and they must not eat grapes or raisins. As long as they are bound by their Nazirite vow, they are not allowed to eat or drink anything that comes from a grapevine - not even the grape seeds or skins.' "

This vow was a way for people to set themselves apart to serve YOU exclusively. It required a huge commitment. No alcohol or even anything from a grapevine for the duration of the vow. Alcohol and wine cloud the judgement so it makes perfect sense that these would be prohibited. 

They were also not allowed to cut their hair or shave their beards. The hair was a symbol of their separation to God. Lord, why did you choose hair as the symbol?? I guess it showed that they were not spending time on themselves but totally devoting their time to you. I like the way Matthew Henry says it:  "This signified neglect of the body, and of the ease and ornament of it. Those who separate themselves to God, must keep their consciences pure from dead works, and not touch unclean things. All the days of their separation they must be holy to the Lord."

Basically a Nazirite was someone who was "all-in" for God. I want to be that kind of person! I want people to be able to see my life and know that I am set apart for YOU, God; that I live in a way that is drastically different from the world.

Lord, I love that you called this a Nazirite vow. I can't seem to find anything that tells me a special meaning for this word. However, there is a striking resemblance between Nazirite and Nazarene. My Savior was a Nazarene and I strive to follow his example.


Lord, help me to live this kind of life for you deserve nothing less from me! In Jesus' name, amen. <3

MEMORY VERSES
James 1:26-27
If you claim to be religious but don't control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
James 1:26-27

Jeremiah 24:6-7
"I will watch over and care for them, and bring them back here again. I will build them up and not tear them down. I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them hearts that recognize me as the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me wholeheartedly."
Jeremiah 24:6-7

No comments: