Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Curiosity Killed the Cat

Deuteronomy 12:29-30

"When the Lord your God goes ahead of you and destroys the nations and you drive them out and live in their land, do not fall into the trap of following their customs and worshiping their gods.  Do not inquire about their gods, saying, 'How do these nations worship their gods? I want to follow their example.' "

In the commentary at the bottom of the page in my Bible it says, "God did not want the Israelites even to ask about the pagan religions surrounding them. Idolatry completely permeated the land of Canaan. It was too easy to get drawn into the subtle temptations of seemingly harmless practices. Sometimes curiosity can cause us to stumble. Knowledge of evil is harmful if the evil becomes too tempting to resist. To resist curiosity about harmful practices shows discretion and obedience." (Life Application Study Bible NLT, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc, Carol Stream, IL, Copyright 1988)



Lord, have I fallen into the trap of my own curiosity? Have I allowed peer pressure to sway me? MyHero and I caved and let our kids watch the Harry Potter movies with their cousins while we were in Arkansas. I've been feeling convicted ever since. We've also been binge watching these movies as a family since we got home from vacation. I'm feeling like we should never have opened this door.

I was thinking that if friends who I love and respect and feel are strong in the Lord allow their kids to watch these movies and read the books, then maybe we're being too strict. Now I'm realizing that we should have stood our ground. 
Perhaps this is something my friends have not been convicted about.
Romans 14:1-4
Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don't argue with them about what they think it right or wrong. For instance, one person believes it's all right to eat anything. But another believer with a sensitive conscience will eat only vegetables. Those who feel free to eat anything must not look down on those who don't. And those who don't eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them. Who are you to condemn someone else's servants? Their own master will judge whether they stand or fall. And with the Lord's help, they will stand and receive his approval.

Lord, I obviously have a sensitive conscience in this matter. I have sinned by engaging in this. Please forgive me!

Romans 14:23
But if you have doubts about whether or not you should eat something, you are sinning if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning.

Please give MyHero and me wisdom on whether or not to allow our kids to watch these anymore. I am convinced that they should NOT read the books. However, if MyHero has a different conviction about that, then I will submit to his leading.

I praise you, Lord, for how you have spoken to me this morning. Please give me the strength to be obedient! We are down to the very last movie and the last one was a cliff hanger. It will be extremely tempting for me to want to give in and watch the last one should MyHero decide to allow the kids to watch it. Please help me to stand strong on my conviction that I at least should not watch it. 

Thank you for giving me a new understanding of Romans 14. Help me to live a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Let me aim for harmony in the church and try to build my fellow believers up.

I praise you, Lord God, because you are Holy. Help me to be holy because you are Holy. In Jesus' name, amen.

MEMORY VERSE
Matthew 4:4
But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.' "
Matthew 4:4

YEAR VERSE
Psalm 37:3-5
Trust in the LORD and do good.
Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you your heart's desires.
Commit everything you do to the LORD.
Trust him, and he will help you.
Psalm 37:3-5

No comments: